13+ Deferred Entry
Applications are now closed for 2021 entry.
From 2021, we will be offering the option of deferred entry for boys from 13+ Prep Schools in the UK. This means that boys in Year 6 may take the 11+ entrance exam and if offered a place may choose to defer to Year 9.
It is important to be aware that Haberdashers’ Aske’s Boys’ School remains predominantly an 11+ school. Approximately 50 boys join the Senior School from our Prep School; a further 100 boys join at 11+ and approximately 20 places are available at 13+. We recognise the increasing pressure on parents for certainty regarding placement at secondary schools in Year 6 and we wish to ensure that Haberdashers’ Aske’s Boys’ School remains accessible to all suitable applicants.
Registration and Process
- For 13+ deferred entry, boys must be registered by mid-November in Year 6.
- Boys will take the same 11+ exam alongside our 11+ applicants in
early Januarymid-December of Year 6. The exam consists of written papers in English and Mathsand our own verbal and non-verbal reasoning test which is done on a computer. Sample English and Maths papers are on our website. We do not release sample tests for reasoning. Approximately half the applicants who sit the written papers are called back for an interview which lasts approximately 1 hour.
- Offers are made mid-February. Boys who qualify for a place following the 11+ assessments will be offered the choice either to accept the place for 11+ entry or to defer to Year 9.
- There will be no further tests in Year 8 for those holding unconditional deferred offers.
- The place will need to be secured in January of Year 7 by payment of non-refundable £1000 deposit.
- Applicants who did not secure a place at the 11+ assessment are very welcome to try again and take the 13+ assessments in early January of Year 8. Candidates must be reregistered by mid-November in Year 8.
- There are written papers in English, Maths, 3 Sciences, General Humanities (source-based), French and Latin. (German and Spanish are also available). Sample papers are on our website. Approximately half the applicants who sit the written papers are called back for an interview which lasts approximately 1 hour.
- Applicants holding a deferred offer who wish to be considered for an academic scholarship will need to take the 13+ assessment.
- Auditions for music scholarships will be held in January in Year 8 alongside our 13+ auditions.
- Offers are made mid-February. The place will need to be secured in early March by payment of non-refundable £1000 deposit.
- In order to be accessible to as many applicants as possible, 13+ assessments remain open for reapplications and first-time applications.