“Horizons Week has been my highlight of lockdown and I have loved every moment" - Charlie (Year 7)
Last week, the boys in Year 7, Year 8 and Year 9 took a break from remote learning and positively engaged with the Horizons Week programme.
The week was a unique opportunity for pupils to learn something new and move out of their comfort zone. The diverse programme celebrated the very best of our Haberdashers’ community; enabling staff, parents and students to share and showcase their interests and passions to inspire our boys to broaden their horizons.
Over the course of the week:
• Every pupil was given the opportunity to 'speak out' and develop their oracy skills.
• Over half of the staff body celebrated their love of reading with every student through the reading symposium.
• Over 300 of our students learnt how to save a life from a masterclass delivered by two parent consultants.
• Staff, parents and students delivered over 30 masterclasses and over 20 virtual trips/tours to broaden our boys’ horizons.
• Our Senior students ran and hosted the first ever virtual, student-led Habs MUN debate with over 450 Years 7-9 students making the most of this opportunity.
For many staff and students, Horizons Week was the highlight of the past 13 weeks and our thanks go to everyone who was involved in making it such a success.
Here's what our community had to say:
“Horizons Week has been my highlight of lockdown and I have loved every moment - from the Masterclasses and Virtual Trips to the Habs MUN today.”
“Horizons week was a fabulous week. It enabled us to be able to take a break from normal lessons and enjoy an entertaining range of activities regarding topics ranging from Diversity to The John Muir Trail to the Habs MUN. Each day was truly an experience worth treasuring.”
“Thank you so much for today and the week. It has been amazing. I have really enjoyed it and I will consider Habs MUN for the future!”
“We just wanted to say how much we enjoyed doing the masterclass on CPR for the boys last week. We are most impressed by the engagement and interest shown by both the groups. The questions they asked were relevant and demonstrated their inquisitive mind.”
Ambalika and Shyam Das
“I loved it and think it was a great success and should happen every year in some form or other.”
Mr Roncarati (Teacher of DT: Bike maintenance masterclass)